Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Even MORE Proof, Villainesses Are Becoming More Popular in Culture

Guillermo del Toro Wants to Direct Maleficent. Hollywood, make this happen!



Avatar for Meredith Woerner Now this this is the kind of rumor we can get behind. Could Guillermo del Toro's Disney movie be the infamous film from the POV of the villainess from Sleeping Beauty?
Perhaps GDT's dismissal from The Hobbit left our favorite director alone with a burning desire to film dragons (and you may recall, Maleficent turns into a giant dragon in the end of Disney's Sleeping Beauty).
In an interview with the LA Times, GDT was asked about his interest in working on the Maleficent project , and this was his reply:
"Let me put it this way, if they ask I'll take the meeting...I think Maleficent's dragon is the only design with the wings separate from the front legs, the only time that design has ever worked. And let me tell you how much of a fan I am. I have a collection of over two or three dozen Maleficent figures, some of them four or five feet tall. I own about 10 pieces of conceptual art from ‘Sleeping Beauty' that include the dragon and a lot more pieces that are just from ‘Sleeping Beauty.' It's one of my three favorite Disney films. I would love to. But I don't want to put too many hopes on it. They're probably on a fast track and I cannot take any more projects on a fast track. "
Not 100% encouraging, but we love a director with a dragon plan. Plus we never got to see his version of Smaug in The Hobbit — so this would be a great way to see some GDT dragons. So while it doesn't sound like the chances of getting an Angelina Jolie-starring, GDT-directed-and-designed movie are high, we're still holding out hope. Because it would be awesome.

Shameless Screen Claw (the Text from IO9 and the image from the Kindom Hearts Wiki). Forgive me. 


Even MORE proof that Modern Culture is embracing a villainous lifestyle, and coming to appreciate the values and traditions of Villainy. Maleficent is a beautiful character truly - much more of star in any work she has appeared in. She's admired - and why not? She's the fairest of them all! Just another reason why America, and the World loves (and Fears!) Villainesses. Make it happen Del Toro!

No comments:

Post a Comment